Friday, May 12, 2006

Disease Progression, Removed from Trial

My oncologist called me today to give me the results of my most recent CT-scan done this past Tuesday. My four tumors have doubled in size from 1" to 2" (from pig turds to horse turds) plus several new little ones (rat turds). The clinical trial only allows for a 20% increase in tumor size, so I was booted off the trial.

I am so disappointed. I wish I'd had my last scan the day before I started on the trial instead of one month before I started on it. Then I was only on the med for 2 weeks, then off two, then back at reduced dosage for three weeks while on a steroid that is on the list of drugs that interferes with the clinical trial med. They don't take any of this into account.

So my advice to you is this. If you go on a clinical trial, try to have a CT-scan right before you start on the trial.

So we're looking for another clinical trial or to go onto chemo. I see Dr. Bergen, my oncologist, next Tuesday. I will also go to my support group if I get out in time. I went last Tuesday and really enjoyed it. I am also going to see my case manager at my health insurance company. I did find out that they cover my prescriptions once I meet the deductible.

I also saw Dr. Kane in Montrose on Monday. She said she would have also suggested the clinical trial for me. She was very nice. I don't know if I'll see her anymore if I'm not going to be in the trial. She and I also discussed chemo options.

Well, I feel really devastated today. I'll have to spend some time talking myself out of this. I'm going to try to do better with my diet and exercise. Tomorrow we are going on a field trip. I may stay home and catch up on some work, or just take it with me and work on it in the car.

Just up here in Colorado wondering if these damn tumors are ever going to give me a break.

2 comments:

Kelly & Joel Lester said...

Don't be discouraged, there are several chemos out there that are doing wonders on our cancer. At least you tried it and others can learn from your participation in the trial. Keep your chin up, I am rooting hard for you down here in Texas!

Love,
Kelly

Kelly & Joel Lester said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.