Monday, March 13, 2006

Headed to Dodge City, Kansas this week

Unless something comes up in the next few days, I have been accepted into a clinical trial to test Sorafenib, and oral medication, to see how it works on cholangiocarcinoma. Sorafenib is already approved and being used quite successfully on renal (kidney) cancer. The trial I will be in is in Phase II, so everyone in this phase gets the drug.

We will meet with the clinical trial people on Thursday, March 16th at the Cancer Center of Kansas in Dodge City. It looks like we'll need to go to Kansas about once a month. Some of my follow-up tests will be done in Colorado.

My oncologist wrote a letter to my insurance company to ask them to cover my costs in participating in this trial which includes blood tests, check-ups, and scans to monitor the results. The insurance company has agreed. God bless my oncologist! The drug is provided by the clinical trial, and we are getting help with travel costs through the American Cancer Society.

Wish me luck that the drug works!

1 comment:

Hoskins Family said...

Caroline,
My thoughts and prayers are with you. I am glad you got in the clinical group. I hope the medicine will help with your cancer. My brother is posted under Hoskins family link. We have been battling this same cancer. Hang in there and just don't give up. We are all in this together. God Bless
Barbie Hoskins Eanes