Saturday, September 02, 2006

Liver Enzymes Up Slightly

I went for chemo last Thursday. First, I got my stitches taken out from the port implantation. The port does make things so much easier for blood draws and infusions - I'm so glad I had it done. My bloodwork was about the same as before. My red blood cells and platelets were up just a notch, but still low. So I got 75% of the normal Gemzar infusion.

My liver enzymes were up slightly. I've been taking Tylenol to deal with the achy, flu-like symptoms of chemo, yet it is hard on your liver, and Dr. Bergen said that could account for the slight bump. Aspirin and Ibuprofen are not options as they cause your platelets to drop and mine are running low.

We are looking into clinical trials for AZD2171 which is supposed to be the next generation of Avastin. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be anything offered in the States that a cholangiocarcinoma patient would be eligible for. However, there is a trial in England which is testing AZD2171 and high blood pressure side effects. We may also look into applying for compassionate use of AZD2171.

Robert & I had a quick trip over to Denver Thursday night. We had a delicious dinner at a vegetarian Asian restaurant with Robert's son. Then we watched the MTV Video Awards with Ian so he could explain to us who everyone was and whether he thought they were any good. We went to our mineral sale on Friday morning. They had a bunch of books, too, so we came back with a truckload of rocks and new titles for my used book section.

There's lots of people in Ouray for Labor Day. I'm at the bookstore, and we have a local author reception tomorrow. I invited six local authors and two others are attending as well.

I felt good the last two days which is typical as they give you steroids before the chemo. I had a hard time sleeping Thursday night and took a Benadryl to help, but it didn't do much. Today, I'm feeling my chemo slump, but I toook Tylenol at lunch and it helps. Kelsey, our young high school employee, worked today, and I was able to process a lot of the used books into inventory.

I will do chemo next week on Tuesday which means I can go to the Grand Junction support group again, and I'm looking forward to that!

Just up here in Colorado, talking to my platelets and red blood cells, telling them to get back up there!

Sincerely, Caroline

1 comment:

Sherry Schena said...

Hey Caroline. Just stoppin' by to let you know I'm still checkin' up on you. Thinking about you.